Dec 19, 2016 | Comments
This year I told myself I would read at least 25 books. It doesn’t seem like a lot but when you consider my reading history the past couple of years, that’s a big number.
- 2015: 7 books + 3 graphic novels = 10 books
- 2014: 19 books + 20 graphic novels = 39 books
- 2013: 40 books + 30 graphic novels = 74 books
- 2012: 18 books
As you can see, not great numbers. Each year I have been reading less and less. 2013 was a weird anomaly. So far this year of 2016 (there’s still like ten days left in the year…) I only managed to read 38 books, not including graphic novels. In total I’ve read about 84 books. So that’s still like 46 graphic novels that I’ve read. I really wanted my novel to graphic novel ratio to be greater than or equal to one. However, I still met my goal of 25 books. So kudos to me!
This year I decided to opt for minimalism and not sign up for any reading challenges. To me, the most important thing is going through my to read list. If I even manage to make a small dent in the list, I’ll be happy.
Here are my 2017 reading resoltuions:
- Read a total of 60 books.
- Read at least 30 non-graphic novels.
- Read more novels than graphic novels.
- Don’t take out any books from the library that are not in my to read list.
- Read at least half of the books on my 25 books to read in 2017 list
Here is my 25 books to read in 2017 list (*=book was also on 2016 list):
- The Rebel by Albert Camus*
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen*1
- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins*
- Vital Signs by Tessa McWatt*
- The Bastion Wars by Henry Zhou*
- The Wrongs of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft*
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert*
- Anywhere But Here by Mona Simpson*
- Villette by Charlotte Bronte*2
- The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle*3
- Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson*
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton*
- Johnny Kellock Died Today by Halley Dyer*
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Brown*
- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Montgomery
- Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
- Wacousta by John Richardson
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
- The Odyssey by Homer4
- The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- I’m Not Her by Janet Gurther
- Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
- Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard
We’ll see how this goes!