April 2022 Summary
Books in April
Books I finished:
- Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer
- We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
- Eat & Love Yourself by Sweeney Boo
- Create Now by Marlo Johnson
- My Wife in the Psych Ward
- Boundless by Jillian Tamaki
Books I gave up on:
- The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (it was too overwhelming to read, hah)
- All the Young Men by Ruth Coker Burks
Books I'm still reading but haven't finished:
I'm notorious for starting multiple things at once and taking forever to finish them or I don't even finish them at all and they are in a perpetual state of "in progress." Yes, I know this is bad. No, I don't see myself changing that any time soon but I'm working on it.
- Disability Visibility by Alice Wong (I am in a book club where we read two or three chapters every two weeks so expect to see this here for a while)
- Dracula by Bram Stoker (I have two chapters left, I've been procrastinating on this for a while)
- Art & Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland (I procrastinated hard on reading this month)
- Is It Wood, It Is Stone by Gabriella Burnham
Music in April
I use ListenBrainz to keep track of all the songs I play. It can be connected to Spotify and other players like Strawberry Music Player. It's open source, too!
The bolded and italicized songs are songs that showed up in this list last month. Admittedly, I like to listen to the same things over and over again.
Overall, this was a pretty K-pop heavy month. I started watching dance practices over and over again, haha. I have a lot of admiration for Taemin from the group SHINee. His dancing is just top notch.
I am perpetually like four months behind in K-pop. Kai came out with Peaches and honestly, I am in love with this song. Kai really does slow and sexy songs well. The choreo has a lot of good moments and pretty pictures.
- Peaches by Kai
- IDEA by TAEMIN
- INVU by TAEYEON
- MOVE by TAEMIN
- WANT by TAEMIN
- Gray so Gray (ft. Younha) by Epik High
- 君に夢中 by Utada Hikaru
- LA FAMA by ROSALIA
- Honey by Solar
- Criminal by TAEMIN
Top Albums of the Month
My latest K-pop discovery is D.O. I don't know if his solo work really classifies as K-pop, though. He's from the group EXO and his solo mini album is really good! It's an acoustic album that makes me want to fall in love. It feels really heartfelt and genuine.
My favourite girl in K-pop released some solo work too. Solar came out with 容 : FACE and I listened to it a lot. The lead single is really good.
- 공감 by D.O.
- slow down by Fennel
- Peaches by Kai
- INVU by TAEYEON
- Deep in the Iris by Braids
- Nectar by Joji
- Never Gonna Dance Again : ACT 2 by TAEMIN
- CAMP by Seiho
- 容 : FACE by Solar
- Lush by Snail Mail
Top Artists of the Month
Taemin is the king of my heart this month!
Utada Hikaru and 2NE1 both played at Coachella and honestly, it was probably the highlight of my month. I put their discographies on repeat afterward. Seeing Utada at an American festival was so cool. I sat in my living, belting her songs out in my crappy Japanese.
When CL brought out 2NE1 out onto the stage... I literally screamed. I'm sure my neighbours thought something was wrong. I was numb and shaking for the rest of the night. There are no words to describe how much I feel for 2NE1. I've been a fan of theirs since 2010/2011. It's been over a decade! When they broke up, I kinda stopped following K-pop. They were the "It" group for me and nothing else ever held a candle to them. It was really sad how the group broke up and honestly, I felt for them so much. Seeing them together again after six or seven years was an emotional moment. In that moment on the stage, I saw how much things have changed and how much they haven't. I just love seeing my girlies get the recognition they deserve!
Moving on, I'm seriously shocked that Coheed and Cambria is STILL charting for me this month. They are like a constant in my life and thank goodness for them.
- Utada Hikaru
- Joanna Newsom
- Coheed and Cambria
I use ActivityWatch, which is a free and open source app that automatically tracks the time spent on devices. It's cross platform so I use it on my desktop (Pop!_OS), my phone (Calyx OS), and my laptop (Manjaro).
Screen Time Usage Per Day
This chart below shows the hours per day I've spent across all my devices, not including work hours. While I wouldn't definitively say a higher number is worse, the real metric is whether or not I spent my time on the screen doing some productive or useful.
- April was rough. Last month was rough but this month was rough.
- Spikes were over the weekend. Can you tell how much sleep I've been getting lately?
Just for comparison's sake, here is the previous month (March) alongside April. March was a lot better than April which is something I didn't think would be possible.
Top Apps Used Across All Devices
I spent a lot of time in the Fediverse this month. Combination of not being in a great place and finding a good place in the Fediverse.
Top Websites Visited on Firefox
- My YouTube consumption this month was off the charts. I wasn't joking when I said this month was the month of K-pop. Lots of dance practices, Coachella reactions, watching Coachella itself, music videos, music video analyses, music video reactions, interviews, compilations, etc. etc. Lots of music content was consumed.
- Launched myself into Mastodon this month. It was just too exciting.
- I use Pomotodo to keep track of pomodoros. I am surprised this charted because I did not use it a lot this month.
- I logged into Tumblr for the first time in a long while. Only one or two people I follow are still active. It was nice to catch up.