Dream: Nearly Survived

Feb 3, 2013

I just woke up from a dream and I have to write about it. I’m not sure if it’s some kind of omen or just a representation of the current state of my mind, but either way, it spooked me pretty badly.

So I was at the train station, going up the stairs to reach the far end of the platform. The stations have walls that are on the sides of the tracks and they join together above the platform to make a ceiling.

As I descended down another set of stairs, my view shifted from first person to third person and I was viewing the station from the side. I saw myself and my friends standing at the middle of the platform but it was crowded so I suggested we move down to the end of the platform, where there wasn’t that much of a crowd. I was back in my own body again and talking to my friends, my back towards the train tracks.

Suddenly I heard the beeping sound of train doors closing and I turned around to see the train getting ready to leave. I saw a set of door closing and I tried to stick my hand through the narrowing gap to make it open but it was too late and I quickly withdrew my hand. I was angry that my friends didn’t tell me the train came and shocked at how I didn’t hear it approach.

When I looked back at my friends, I saw that they were no longer there and my family took their place instead.

We heard the trains coming again and looked eagerly towards the tracks. Usually there is only one set of tracks on both sides of the platform but suddenly there were three tracks on the side we were waiting for and well over five on the other side. The platform had shrunk to half the width of a sidewalk and everyone was teetering along the edge.

Another train came by but it ran along the farthest train track and was a freight train. Another freight train came by on the middle tracks. Finally a train came close to the platform but instead it was a private “train”. It looked like more of a car than anything, with an open hood. Two men had two tanks in the front seat and three off road vehicles in the second row of seats. My dad gave me papers that was in his hand and helped them take the items off the car/cart and the two men went off.

More trains came by on the other side. The tracks on the other side were chaotic and overlapped each other. Trains narrowly missed each other and an idiot driving a car on the tracks was nearly hit as well.

I looked down the platform. People were picking up their bags and leaving. With a worried look on my mothers face, she asked me for the time. I looked at my wrist watch and said, “It’s quarter to 10, why?” She didn’t respond but instead looked off in the distance. I repeated the question until she answered me with, “The trains stop running at 12:45.” I didn’t even realize it was night already. She went on about maybe staying in a hotel for the night and as she did, I sent a text to my aunt in Vancouver explaining what had happened. It was at that moment that I knew that we were in the Philippines for vacation.

I was starting to say something but my mom shushed me when the sounds of an airplane filled our ears. It sounded extremely close, therefore extremely loud, and getting louder every second. I covered my ears thinking, “We’re going to get hit, we’re going to get hit…” and braced myself for our impending doom. The sound abruptly stopped and for some reason, we were at ease.

We were the only ones on the platform now, give or take a person or two. I looked down the tracks and could see the night sky and the twinkling of office building lights and highways.

Suddenly a small airplane filled the view and it descended on the tracks, landing sideways. It scraped along the edge of the platform and against the wall. The wings were mostly torn off and we surprisingly didn’t get hit. Another plane came right after it. And another.

Just when we thought it was safe, a large bus on it’s side came speeding down the other side of the platform, barely missing us once more. A huge truck came rolling our way, tore through the ceiling, and landed right in front of my brother. I was sure it was going to kill us but it didn’t.

We waited a couple of minutes and heard more crashes and explosions in the distance. The night skyline turned fiery.

Soon people started to come to the train station to pick up debris and helping any people in distress. It was morning, the sky was a clear blue, and the sun shone light on all of the damage from the night before.

I tried to persuade my mom that we should make a run for it but she said we needed to make eye contact with one of the volunteers. We tried calling help but no one came to our aid even though they were only a meter or two away from us.

I went so far as to lightly hit a woman walking by with the papers my dad handed me. She looked annoyed but said, “Yes?”

My mom explained our situation to her in Tagalog and the lady called over the police and we descended onto the tracks. He asked for our passports. I pulled out my dad’s passport from the papers and the police frowned because the cover was ripped and damaged but identified my dad anyway. My mom pulled out my brothers passport and he checked in with the police. My mom did the same with hers. But I couldn’t find my passport. My mom told the police man that we must have lost it as we did lose our luggage. The police said nothing but wrote some things on to a notepad.

I took out my cell phone and saw that my aunt replied to our text. I don’t remember what it said but it was not particularly helpful.

Then the police officer pulled out a fancy smart phone (my phone is a little ghetto Nokia) and showed that we had a video call. My mom said, “It’s PJ!” He is a family friend that we were planning to come to the Philippines with at the same time but decided against it. He was already in the Philippines before we got there and in the video call we saw that he and his family were at church, dressed fancy, laughing and smiling.

My mom tried to get their attention but all they did was wave at us and smile. She told me to show them what happened and I plucked the phone from the police’s hand and faced the phone towards the wreckage. I gave it back to the police and he ended the call.

I leaned against the wall, pulled out my cell, and asked if I should text any of my aunts, uncles, or cousins in Canada. I listed all the ones that I had on my phone by name and my mom said no to each of them. That was when I woke up.

Category: Life