I'm Not a Big TV Show or Movie Person
Day 24 of #100DaysToOffload
I'll add a caveat to the title: I have not watched many movies or TV shows that are considered "classics" or are "universally" known. I do like to watch movies and TV shows but it's not my go-to form of entertainment.
Growing up, going to the movie theatre was a rare treat as my dad was the only one who knew how to drive and since he worked nights, he needed to sleep during the day. And because I had a younger brother, it was usually only family friendly movies.
My parents were also immigrants who didn't really have a pulse on current pop culture. My parents also didn't really watch TV until I was in high school, which was when they manage to get a subscription to Filipino channels (I did a lot of homework listening to my mom watch Filipino soap operas).
I did, however, go to Blockbuster a lot as a kid (this probably dates me, hah) and I would often take out anime movies (think Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Studio Ghibli) or Disney animated movies (like The Rescuers Down Under or Fantasia). I also watched a ton of "direct to VHS/DVD" movies on the Disney channel.
However, by the time I was in my teens, I pretty much cemented myself as the anime loving nerd of my friend group and really only consumed anime shows and movies. My friends at the time didn't talk about movies that much either (thinking back on it, I cannot remember what we talked about but I don't recall ever talking about actors and actresses or movies).
So whenever someone says, "Have you seen X?" or "You know, X actor/actress?" my answer is most likely no. I didn't watch the first six Star Wars movies until last year (or was two years ago, I can't remember but it was definitely during pandemic times). I still haven't seen all the Harry Potter movies (my friends and I have been watching it and we literally watched the fifth film two months ago). I also never watched Tom Holland's Spider-Man movies until this year and I've probably watched 25% of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I've never seen Game of Thrones. I've never seen Dexter and for some reason I keep mixing up Dexter, Dexter's Laboratory, and Breaking Bad (fun fact I had to look up "tv show about cancer chemistry teacher drugs" to remember the title of Breaking Bad).
For some reason, most shows/movies don't make me think, "Wow! I have to watch that!" The last shows I remember watching have been Arcane, The Queen's Gambit, and Mindhunter. I liked The Queen's Gambit enough although it somehow felt very formulaic to me. Mindhunter was interesting but I was starting to lose the plot near the end. Arcane, however, I thought was amazing and my life felt empty a little bit after the season ended. That was actually a show where I watched the trailers and was like, "Wow! I have to watch that!"
Still, if someone had to ask me what my favourite movies and TV shows were I'd probably be hard pressed to answer but I'll try to give it a shot.
Favourite (Non-Anime) Movies:
- In the Mood for Love is a big favourite of mine, it made me fall in love with Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung.
- I've raved a lot about The Prince of Egypt purely because of the soundtrack but it was a pretty good movie too, it's a childhood favourite.
- Maybe Kiki's Delivery Service? Or Spirited Away. Or both. Also, I don't really count these as anime even though they are technically Japanese animated.
- Okay, this could be because The Incredibles was like the only DVD we had growing up but this movie has a special place in my heart. I really liked this movie. It was so adult but also good for kids.
Favourite (Non-Anime) TV Shows:
- The Crown. God, I was obsessed with this show and still am. I just love royal drama.
- I already mentioned Arcane but man I found that show really amazing. The art. The voice acting. The soundtrack. Perfection.
- EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this show but Joel reminded me that the show Avatar: The Last Airbender exists. This is probably another masterpiece with very few flaws. The writing is absolutely incredible. I have re-watched it twice and was amazed by it each time.