May 2022 Summary
Books in May
Books I finished:
- Dancing at a Pity Party by Tyler Feder
- Talking to Strangers by Marianne Boucher
- Keep Going by Austin Kleon
- Art Matters by Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell
- Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk by Danielle Krysa
- The Matisse Stories by A.S. Byatt
I didn't read a lot of fiction and the only non-graphic novel fiction I read this month was The Matisse Stories. That book was definitely my favourite one I read this month. I've been reading a lot more non-fiction but now I yearn for prose.
Books I gave up on:
- The Fox and Mr. Shimamura by Christine Wunicke (I think I've tried to read this book twice now. I did read further than the previous time but I ultimately got bored with it)
Books I'm still reading but haven't finished:
I'm notorious for starting multiple things at once and taking forever to finish them or I don't even finish them at all and they are in a perpetual state of "in progress." Yes, I know this is bad. No, I don't see myself changing that any time soon but I'm working on it.
- Is It Wood, It Is Stone by Gabriella Burnham (Slowly burning through this, I read a page or two every day but the story is like a car wreck I dread to see but desperately want to look at anyway)
- Becoming RGB by Debbie Levy (once the more technical political stuff came up my eyes glazed over but I would like to pick it up again)
Music in May
I use ListenBrainz to keep track of all the songs I play. It can be connected to Spotify and other players like Strawberry Music Player. It's open source, too!
The bolded and italicized songs are songs that showed up in this list last month. Admittedly, I like to listen to the same things over and over again.
- Now ft. Hwasa by PSY
- Famous by TAEMIN
- I'm Fine by D.O.
- Peaches by Kai
- That That ft. SUGA by PSY
- 目が明く藍色 by サカナクション
- Mmmh by KAI
- Black Lipstick by Chicano Batman
- 君に夢中 by Utada Hikaru
- WANNA BE MYSELF by MAMAMOO
PSY came out with a new album and it is pretty good. Now has been on repeat because I love a good retro song and Hwasa really shines on this track! I admittedly also really like That That, it's just such a fun song because I keep imagining the music video in my mind.
Last month I was talking about D.O.'s album 공감 (Empathy) and the song I keep going back to is I'm Fine. Lyrics aside, it's just such a pretty song and D.O. has such a pretty voice.
I have a ton of Sakanaction albums but I don't really like them. There are a couple of good singles. I've been relistening to them though and I have a new found appreciation for Sakanaction. 目が明く藍色 really stood out to me. It's like a six minute long song but it holds my attention quite well.
Top Albums of the Month
D.O.'s Empathy album is still on repeat for me... It's just so good.
My Chemical Romance coming out with their new song caused me to binge all of their albums but Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge specifically. Most people point to The Black Parade as their favourite MCR album but for me it's Three Cheers.
EMI MARIA's EUPHORIA is a banger for me, almost front to back. I really want new music from her... Please come out with more music!! I need another album!!
Psy's new album was alright. Some good bops. But like I said above, I've been putting a couple of songs on repeat.
- 공감 by D.O.
- Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance
- EUPHORIA by EMI MARIA
- Divers by Joanna Newsom
- Kai by Kai
- PSY 9th by PSY
- kikUUiki by サカナクション (Sakanaction)
- Tierra by L'Arc~en~Ciel
- 신발장 by EPIK HIGH
- Ibn El Leil by Mashrou' Leila
Top Artists of the Month
I'm seriously shocked that Coheed and Cambria is STILL charting for me this month. They are like a constant in my life and thank goodness for them. (This happened two months in a row and I'm not even mad).
- My Chemical Romance
- Utada Hikaru
- DIR EN GREY
- EMI MARIA
- Joanna Newsom
- Coheed and Cambria
I use ActivityWatch, which is a free and open source app that automatically tracks the time spent on devices. It's cross platform so I use it on my desktop (Pop!_OS), my phone (Calyx OS), and my laptop (Manjaro).
Screen Time Usage Per Day
This chart below shows the hours per day I've spent across all my devices, not including work hours. While I wouldn't definitively say a higher number is worse, the real metric is whether or not I spent my time on the screen doing some productive or useful.
- May was more time spent on screens but I also felt like I was more productive this month? A lot of my productivity was indeed spent on screens so that could explain the higher numbers this month.
- There is one day with +24 hours of screen time and that's because sometimes I have multiple screens going at the same time.
Just for comparison's sake, here is the previous month (April) alongside May. April was a lot better than May which is something I didn't think would be possible. Like I said, this month felt so much more productive.
Top Apps Used Across All Devices
I spun up a Jellyfin server and I spend a lot of time using Jellyfin now! I use the official app on my phone and I need the screen awake or else it stutters... I don't use other clients because they don't send scrobbles. Ah, the price I pay just to scrobble stuff.
Top Websites Visited on Firefox
- I use Pomotodo to keep track of pomodoros. I used it a lot this month.
- YouTube, the bane of my existence. I've been watching a lot of Korean variety shows lately that could explain this big chunk of time. I also count Invidious instances under this YouTube umbrella.